Saturday, May 14, 2011

The Reason Behind the Name.


The theme of my journey for a while now has involved three simple words. Three simple words that mean nothing when read on a blank page. When read in the pages of God’s word, however, these three words challenge the faith of every believer. The words But even if at first were meaningless to me, but soon after studying them in a deeper context I realized that the Lord was calling me to proclaim these words for His glory.

Daniel chapter 3 is the first place that I was introduced to these words. In this chapter we hear Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego tell King Nebuchadnezzar that they will not bow down and worship the gold statue he has built. When the king tells Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, “If you don’t worship it, you will immediately be thrown into a furnace of blazing fire—and who is the god who can rescue you from my power?” Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego respond to the king by saying, “If the God we serve exists, then He can rescue us from the furnace of blazing fire, and He can rescue us from the power of you the king. But even if He does not rescue us, we want you as king to know that we will not serve your gods or worship the gold statue you set up.” What great faith Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego have. They believe that worshiping God is something worth giving their life up for. In our day and culture I image this phrase might be used in a different context, no kings throwing people in fiery furnaces in the United States. Maybe something more along the lines of, “But even if my parents get a divorce, I will still worship God”, “But even if I lose all my friends, I will not stop worshiping my God”, “But even if my future plans do not work out, I will still obey God.” Or in my case it might sound something like this, “But even if I am called to move away from my friends and comfort and live in another country for the rest of my life, I will still love and obey my God.” 

In Philippians 2 Paul echoes this statement in His letter to the Church at Philippi. He begins by encouraging them to live in the light and do things that set them apart from the crooked and perverted generation they are currently living in. Then he ends this section of encouragement almost as a prayer. He says, “But even if I am poured out as a drink offering on the sacrifice and service of your faith, I am glad and rejoice with all of you. In the same way you also should rejoice and share your joy with me.” Almost two months ago when I was in South Africa the Lord kept bringing this scripture to my mind. The funny thing is I have not visited this verse or section of scripture for several years. These verses have now become very close to my heart and frequent on my lips and in my prayers as I enter into this new chapter of life. When the Lord brings these words to mind, which happens quite often, I slowly repeat them back to Him as a prayer. A prayer of sacrifice. A prayer of confidence. A prayer of obedience. A prayer of joy.

But even if my God does not rescue me from the fiery furnace, and instead leads me to live a life in Jerusalem, Judea, Samaria, or even the ends of the earth. But even if I am always being poured out doing service and sacrifice. But even if I will be glad and rejoice. 

My prayer is that you would rejoice and share your joy with me along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment